08 fevereiro 2008

Maharishi ushered in spiritual renaissance

From today's Times of India, 7 Feb 2008, 0200 hrs IST, by Deepak Chopra

NEW YORK: The Maharishi didn't die like mere mortals do. He just went into what we call 'maha samadhi'. On January 12 this year, his 91st birthday, he announced that his work in the world was over and he was going into silence. He didn't speak to a single soul after that day. And today, he has passed so elegantly. Maharishi began the spiritual renaissance.

He was one of the most significant figures of the century. Personally, I owe everything to him. Everything I have learned, I have learned from him. He has influenced some of the most important people of this century.

The Maharishi had grandiose ideas - sometimes even impractical - but he was a great man. I remember taking George Harrison to meet him in 1993. George had gone to apologize for the bad behaviour of the Beatles back in 1969. Back then, the Beatles, especially John Lennon, had insinuated that the Maharishi was having an affair with Mia Farrow. When George apologised, the Maharishi said there was nothing to be sorry about. He said the Beatles were angels on Earth with their music and he could never be angry with them.

Another incident that comes to mind is back in 1996 when I rushed him to hospital in London. The doctors declared the Maharishi dead but he came back. When an urgent blood transfusion was required, I was found to be the only one with matching blood type. Initially he refused a transfusion, saying he didn't want my karma coming along with my blood! It was only when the doctor in me convinced him that red blood cells didn't carry DNA that he relented and agreed to take my blood. It's enough to say I am who I am because of my Guru. I'm grateful that I was part of his dream. If there is such a thing as 'devaloka', they must surely be celebrating and welcoming a great sage.

Sem comentários: